How to Stay Active... Even During Lockdown! By Nick Smith, HCA Athletic Director

HCA Athletic Director and Coach, Nick Smith, with his
wife Rachel, and 4-year-old twin boys, Justin and Brandon.
Here at HCA, we have several age groups ranging from Nursery 2 through eighth grade. Many families have children of varying ages, sometimes from Pre-K to high school. Today’s blog will focus on how my family - my wife Rachel, our four-year-old twin sons, Brandon and Justin, and our spoiled dog Bella - is currently getting through each day. I look forward to sharing our ‘Smith Team’ quarantine experience with all of you!

Staying active and engaged can be challenging. I try to infuse learning lessons with physical activity each day. Ask any parent of twins and they will tell you that sticking to a routine is the best course of action. We have worked hard to keep a routine with the boys. On a regular day, after breakfast, Rachel and the boys have a morning meeting where they discuss the plan for the day, including what day of the week it is, the date, and what the weather is like. 

This is about the time I stroll downstairs and get started on the fun stuff before lunch! There are many great lessons from sports and competition that can be learned at the Pre-K level. Teaching my sons how to deal with losing has been a struggle, but one worth having. I set up simple races to challenge them, or I make a rule that they are on the same team and they have to beat me. Whether I win or lose, I watch how they react. If I sense they are not handling it the right way, we discuss it together. When I lose I make sure they see that I still shake their hands and say “good job.”Sportsmanship at this age level is just as important as any skill learned.

My wife and I also set up learning goals. One of them is working on recognizing all of the letters of the alphabet. Rachel found an alphabet chart and we made sticky notes that they can stick over the letters on the chart. To make this a more active learning experience, I have begun to hide the letters in different parts of the house and we have an alphabet scavenger hunt. When they bring the letter back, they have to put in the right place in the Alphabet, and say the letter. I have also begun having them say a word that begins with the letter they found. I have incorporated sports into these lessons, also. We set up a basketball game where I call their name and a letter. They run to the letter, grab it and bring it to me. They then run back to the same spot to catch and shoot the ball. As a basketball coach you can never be too young to learn to move without the ball. State parks have also been our best friend - they allow us to be mindful of social distancing guidelines while still enjoying the fresh air. Ridley Creek State Park, John Heinz National Wildlife Trails and the Okehocking Preserve have been my favorites so far. Rachel has found so many great ideas on Pinterest, but one of her favorites is the indoor and outdoor scavenger hunts. We give the boys a clipboard with various pictures to check off to keep them on task and active.

 Click here for videoThis past month has been stressful for nearly every family across the world, and we are no exception. My boys have asked me a few questions about what is going on, and are aware of the coronavirus. Justin sneezed the other day and asked “Is the coronavirus going to get me?!” Rachel and I believe our job is to reassure them that it will be okay and that we are doing everything in our power to keep them safe.

We have also found ways to keep our family together even though we have to be apart. For example, to stay connected with the boys’ grandparents, we recently downloaded the Google Duo app so that the boys can facetime with my Mom. She can now download their books on her kindle to read to them. These are the kinds of moments that stand out to me: making the best of a tough situation while still appreciating the little things. 

The happiest one in our house right now is definitely our dog Bella! She is never alone, and gets so much more attention. I take her on long walks in the morning and at night. It reminds me how what might seem difficult to us, can actually be a blessing. This has given us an opportunity to spend quality family time that we might not have as much of otherwise.

This was just a first glimpse into the Smith Team’s quarantine experience! I look forward to continuing this blog with some ideas to help families stay fit and active - even during lockdown.

1 comment:

  1. These are such great ideas for little ones! I love how you keep them learning and active! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Tell us what you think! We would love to have your feedback!